On May 11, 2017, I had the privilege of addressing the audience attending ATDC’s Startup Showcase and graduation event.
I began with a tongue-in-cheek title, “The Four Easy Steps to a Billion Dollar Exit.” After a few chuckles, I moved onto the real (and more practical) topic, “The Seven Hard steps to Increasing the Odds of a Respectable Exit.” A summary of those steps is below and the full, cleaned up transcript can be read here.
- Forge a mission for your business.
- Find your most likely acquirers, and become the best partner they have.
- You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince or princess.
- Execute very consistently – acquirers love a “momentum machine.”
- Keep it Simple, complexity is your enemy.
- Be awesome, and wait for someone to knock on your door.
- It’s that mission thing again.
I’ll share the same parting thought here that I shared with the audience… May all your exits come true.